I upgraded my development machine a couple of weeks ago to Windows 7 64-bit. At the same time I migrated all my Revit Addin projects to Autodesk Revit 2011. This includes RevitPythonShell. I finally got round to building a new installer using the RevitAddInUtility. This was as good a project as any to try out building x64 applications and installers for Revit 2011.
Most of the port was done with the help of code I recieved from Jason Schaeffer (joespiff) via the RevitPythonShell google group
I ran into some snares:
- Visual Studio 2010 has some restrictions with x64 managed applications
- The Designer will not show your forms unless you set the build platform to "Any CPU" and rebuild.
- The Setup projects bundle the wrong "InstallUtilLib.dll" shim when building x64 .msi packages
- this has to be manually patched with orca (see my question on stackoverflow.com for current status on how to do this automatically)
- Windows 7 doesn't like it when programs modify stuff in the "Program Files" folder, so I moved the RevitPythonShell.xml file to the AppData folder.